Wild Blue-Green Algae is a “whole-cell” wild Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (AFA) cyanobacteria that are harvested from the undisturbed, high-desert Klamath Lake in Southern Oregon. It is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the entire planet. It is one of the oldest and purest forms protein and is thought to be one of the original superfoods for all mammals alive today.
It is easily digestible because it is made up primarily of “soft” proteins which are immediately absorbed through the intestinal tract and go directly into the blood cells, making it one of the most utilizable protein sources in all of nature, containing over 60% vegetable protein and providing every essential amino acid. This makes blue-green algae one of the cleanest and purest sources of plant-based protein.
Algae contains a vast array of phytonutrients, antioxidants, minerals (especially iron, zinc, selenium, and magnesium) and is densely packed with vitamins, enzymes, and other unique compounds, making it one of the most potent superfoods available for human consumption. It is one of the worlds oldest and most comprehensive super foods in planetary history and has been the primary source of survival for cultures the world over.
Algae is also extremely high in minerals and has a higher concentration of beta-carotene than broccoli. A rich source of calcium, iron, vitamin B12, enzymes and antioxidants make blue green algae an ideal food source for both adults and children. Even pets can benefit greatly from this nutrient-packed food. Although the natural sources where algae grows in the wild are being threatened, we are extremely grateful to have access to this pristine source of wild algae and to be able to offer it to you.
Wildcrafted Klamath Blue-Green Algae: Whole Cell (Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (AFA) cyanobacteria )
Blue Green Algae mixes easily in water, protein shakes, smoothies or fresh-squeezed juices to add a naturally complete superfood boost. It is amazing sprinkled on popcorn and salads. Add it to your raw chocolate, too. Try adding it to a coconut water for refreshing, nourishing hydration and to energize your brain.
POSSIBLE HEALTH BENEFITS OF BLUE-GREEN ALGAE
Scientific research has shown many compounds found in AFA have strong anti-inflammatory properties which have been known to help alleviate the chronic inflammation many people encounter daily due to stress and environmental toxins. These include the COX-2 inhibitor Phycocyanin, and anti-inflammatory properties of the carotenoids contained in AFA.
Many of the compounds in algae serve as broad-spectrum antioxidants which help protect cells from damaging free radicals which are continually being produced in the body. Other compounds in algae function as strong immune modulators, which research has been shown to support immune surveillance. These compounds can activate aspects of the immune system involved in both the anti-bacterial and anti-viral immune defense mechanisms. The complex polysaccharides found in AFA are an example of these unique compounds. Research done on the polysaccharides in algae showed support of the activation of Natural Killer (NK) cells in laboratory tests. NK cells serve as a vital first defense against cancerous cells containing mutated DNA and infected cells.
Another incredibly valuable and important active compound found in AFA is phenylethylamine (PEA). Although it is found in other foods like chocolate, AFA supplies a much higher level and is actually the highest known natural source. Phenethylamine has gained significant notoriety in recent years as it is now thought to play an important role in depression and other psychiatric disorders. By measuring its metabolites, low levels of endogenous PEA have been documented in cases of attention deficient hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and PEA supplementation has been used to treat clinical depression.
THE ROLE OF ALGAE IN THE BODY
- Anti-Aging: Loaded with more essential nutrients and iron than most foods that we consume, blue-green algae is perfect as an anti-aging food. Its high concentration of antioxidants means our bodies can combat more free radicals and toxics.
- Relief from inflammation resulting in reduction in headaches, body aches and pains, joint pain…
- Energy Booster – has rejuvenating effects of antioxidants and adaptogens which help the body to deal with stress, recover more quickly and have more overall stamina.
- Better Digestion – it coats the stomach lining and is packed with enzymes that help to improve digestion.
- Sleep better – it is detoxifying, resulting in better rest.
- Lose weight – provides the body with crucial micro nutrients that are missing in our food supply which elevates food cravings and more balanced appetite.
- Greater concentration and mental focus – increase in mental presense and clarity of mind
- Strengthen the hair, skin and nails – high in protein which is the main building block for healthy hair, skin and nails and tissue repair
- Less anxiety – it has beneficial effects on our brain development and repair and can help us cope with stress better.
- Improves memory – as it has effects on our brain development, regular consumption of blue green algae has also shown to have an impact on our memory.